New Years Resolution
It is that time of year again where people decide they want to get in shape and live healthier. The only problem is that we tend to spend all this money on gym memberships, workout equipment, workout clothes and health food just to give it all up about a month in. I have been searching for reasons on why people give up on their resolutions and I guess it all depends on the person.
People seem to be so motivated come the beginning of the year but as soon as the work starts to get hard they quit. The only problem is that hard work is the whole process so if your not willing to put in the work then you will never change for the better.
Below is a list of things that help me stay motivated and continue on my path towards a healthy, active lifestyle.
1. My Family – Family is one of the most important things to me and getting sick or not being able to be active with my family would crush me. I know many people feel the same. If you have children think about them, do you play with them outside or do you sit in a chair? Do you make your own children be active or do you just give them the video games? These are questions that you need to ask yourself. Are you the type of parent you want to be? Are you doing what is best for your child, parents, siblings? When you are motivated to get up and go for a walk, play volleyball, ski or just have fun then the family that surrounds you will join in. We can’t let laziness be the reason we die. No one wants to die before their parents, older siblings or even before their kids get the chance to know them, so eliminate this as an option and fight for your health and the health of your family.
2. Goals – One thing that I like to do that helps me stay on track is make goals. I will make long term goals as well as short term. Some of my examples are I had a little over 3 months before an epic trip to vegas that would put me in the eyes of a lot of people in the industry. I wrote “LAS VEGAS” on a piece of paper and tapped it to my mirror. Everyday I would see it and that would help push me to continue to WORK IT everyday. Then I would make small goals, after 2 weeks I wanted to lose a half inch in my waste, do 50 push ups without stopping and be able to breeze through a cardio workout without feeling like my heart would explode. I also would write these down and paste them somewhere that I would see them everyday! Working towards a goal is the most motivating thing for me!
3. Eliminate Bad Foods – The problem with this is that so many people believe that healthy foods costs more so they don’t buy it. Well if you go to a health food store or try to by the healthy brand of cereal then yeah its going to cost a lot more, but you don’t have to do that. Eggs – not that expensive, veggies per pounds – not that expensive…there are so many places on the internet where you can search healthy cheap food and get amazing answers. If you train your mind to think about all the crap food you have been eating as bad and start thinking about all the good food your eating you body will stop craving all that crap. Plus once you see and feel the effect of healthy food on your body eating that crap will hurt. So when I have a off day or week from working out and I am ready to get back in the swing of things I go through my cupboards and start thrashing things that I know will make me blow up like a balloon. Then I make a list of things I need for food and go to the store. Eating habits are 80% of losing weight. If you eat bad stuff you will never be healthy.
4. WATER – water is key, I have a water bottle with me at all times. I have one with me at work, at the gym, in the car, while shopping and more. Water will help you lose weight, stay full as well as keep your skin looking young and vibrant.
5. Think about YOURSELF – The one thing that happens when we have family is that we think about them before ourselves. The only problem with this is that we stop thinking about ourselves, what we are putting in our mouth, how we look or how we feel. One thing that I do is I told my significant other that once I get home from work I need 1 hour by myself. So he takes care of dinner, the house and everything else. If you do have children then find a gym that has a daycare or have your children do exercise with you!
One thing to REMEMBER is that there is ALWAYS TIME, no matter how busy you are. You can do this!
If you have any questions, concerns or comments please feel free to contact me!